Care and Safety Tips for Gas Appliances At Home

We all use gas at home it may be LPG or natural gas, so one has to be cautious and take great care by having the appliances regularly checked. Badly fitted, poorly serviced and faulty gas appliances can put you at risk of gas leaks, fire, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas Leaks- Gas leaks can occur from faulty gas appliances and pipework. If you doubt any damage or signs of corrosion, such as rusting or green discoloration on copper pipework, get it checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Un-burnt natural gas and LPG are not poisonous in the same way as carbon monoxide but can cause fires and explosions.

Care and Safety Tips for Gas Appliances At Home

Care and Safety Tips for Gas Appliances At Home

Fires and Explosions- Gas by its very nature is highly combustible. Correctly fitted and maintained gas appliances ensure that gas is burnt in a controlled and safe way to cook and for heating the homes. If gas leaks from a faulty appliance or pipe work then it can accidently ignite causing fire and explosion.

Carbon monoxide Poisoning- Badly fitted or poorly maintained appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon-monoxide, which can leak into your home. You can’t see it, smell it or taste it but it can kill quickly and with no warning. It can cause serious problems like brain damage. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are like your common ailments, so be cautious and take proper care.

The six main symptoms to look out for are-

  • Headaches

  • Dizziness

  • Nausea

  • Breathlessness

  • Collapse

  • Loss of consciousness

Make sure you know the facts of carbon monoxide as this can save your life.

Service your appliances at least once a year. Observe the manufactures guidelines and keep your service notes filed away. Look after your appliances, you can clean them and take care between services.

  • Clean your gas stove and grills with warm soap water and remove all food particles and dust.

  • Inspect the flame it should burn blue, if yellow means full combustion is not taking place. You should get this checked by a licensed technician.

  • Clean your oven and filters regularly.

  • Check door seals to see gas is not escaping during the cooking process.

  • Store your LPG cylinders upright and outdoors in a well-ventilated area.

If you smell gas or feel dizzy while cooking you should be prepared to act quickly to save yourself and family. Call the technician if you have a doubt, always shut the main source of the gas when not in use. Don’t allow small children to play around and try to use the gas. Your safety is in your hands, so keep a proper check on the gas and the appliances. Better safe than sorry.

Read More About……….Fire Safety at Your Apartment Complex